Graduate Student Fellows Program
The mission of the UCI Initiative to End Family Violence (IEFV) is to be the premier site for research, education, clinical care, and community collaboration on family violence prevention and intervention.
IEFV Student Fellowships highlight and support graduate students whose research has the potential to prevent, intervene in, or end family violence. Ideal candidates will be involved in innovative research designed to further knowledge of and/or interventions in family violence.
Graduate students are eligible to compete for a total of four fellowships. IEFV Student Fellows will each receive up to $3,500 to support their research or conference travel expenses (for the presentation of research regarding family violence). IEFV Student Fellowships are intended to supplement, not replace, any funding that students may already be receiving.
Applications must be submitted to the Initiative to End Family Violence by 12:00 p.m. on Wednesday, July 20, 2016.
IEFV Student Fellowships: up to $3,500 to be used for research expenses, salary support, or conference travel expenses (for presenting research on family violence) during the 2016-17 academic year.
For UCI IEFV Student Fellowships, applicants must, at minimum, meet the following criteria:
- Maintain UCI GPA of 3.7 or higher through the previous spring quarter/semester.
- Be a current, full-time graduate student.
- Conduct or plan to conduct research related to preventing, intervening in, or ending family violence. (Examples of relevant research include studies that aim to further knowledge and interventions in family violence at any stage(s) across the lifespan.)
- Be willing to have research spotlighted/featured on both the Initiative to End Family Violence’s and UCI’s website, brochures, and social networks, and be able and available to effectively communicate and discuss research in lay terms with prospective donors, legislators and/or their staff, and the media.
- If selected as a finalist, students must be available (either in person or via Skype) in early August 2016 to give a brief presentation to the selection committee immediately followed by a brief interview.
Please note that AB540 eligible students may apply for IEFV Student Fellowships.
Application Process and Deadline
The final selection committee will consider several factors when choosing the awardees, including the student’s presentation, interview, ability to convey his/her research to a broad audience, academic record, letters of recommendation, degree progress, and research impact.
Application packets should include the following:
- A completed Student Fellowship Application form
- A proposed budget for use of the fellowship funds
- A current CV
- A confidential evaluation of the student by his/her faculty advisor (must be sent directly to Stacy Tran from the faculty advisor)
- Two letters of recommendation (must be sent directly to Stacy Tran from the recommenders)
Applications must be submitted to the Initiative to End Family Violence by 12:00 p.m. (noon) on Wednesday, July 20, 2016. Applicants must submit applications online. Late or incomplete application packets will not be reviewed.
>>The deadline for this has passed.
Questions should be directed to Stacy Tran at (949) 824-6148.
- Students receiving an IEFV Student Fellowship may be employed as TAs and/or GSRs.
- For students already receiving financial aid, acceptance of an IEFV Student Fellowship may affect his/her overall financial need-based support package. In such cases, students are encouraged to consult with the UCI Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.
- Students should review the terms of any funding that they have accepted for AY 2016-2017 to ensure that they are eligible to receive additional fellowship funding.